Coming spring 2019: Mississauga Integrated Care Centre
The Mississauga Integrated Care Centre is a unique and innovative model that will deliver advanced inter-professional care to patients in South West Mississauga and East Mississauga. The Mississauga Integrated Care Centre will have two locations that will service patients of primary care physicians working within these sub-regions. The MICC will focus on both medical needs and the social determinants of health needs to improve the health and wellness of the community.
The Mississauga Integrated Care Centre builds on the philosophy of the Patient’s Medical Home, where the patient, at the centre of their care team, receives the care they need, when they need it throughout all stages of life. The Mississauga Integrated Care Centre will support patients by connecting them to a coordinated, comprehensive team of primary, specialty, and other health care professionals upon whom they can rely and work with to achieve their personal health goals.
The Mississauga Integrated Care Centre will:
- Bring together home and community care and primary care so patients receive more comprehensive, seamless care and physicians and providers have a simplified, improved experience
- Empower patients through education and by keeping them at the centre of their care team
- Target underserved populations including mental health and addictions, immigrant/refugee health, and palliative care
- Incorporate research and innovation in health system design and service delivery
- Offer event space for networking and continuing medical education opportunities for health care professionals
- Provide immersion programs and flexible specialist touchdown space to allow shared care between family physicians and specialists
- Provide access to digital health platforms including e-Visits and e-Consults
Current Status and Projected Timelines
The Mississauga Integrated Care Centre is targeted to open its doors at the South West Mississauga site in spring 2019. The current status is as follows:
- Design plans for the South West Mississauga site (image 1) have been finalized and permits have been approved. Construction is expected to begin in late fall 2018
- Numerous patient and provider engagements have been completed
- A skills-based community Board of Directors has been established
- An Executive Director has been hired to lead the organization
- Operational and clinical plans for the organization are in development.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is the Mississauga Integrated Care Centre the final name of the organization?
The current organization name is the Mississauga Integrated Care Centre. A branding exercise will be completed in the new year to determine the final name.
- What is the Mississauga Integrated Care Centre’s governance structure?
The Mississauga Integrated Care Centre is a not-for-profit health service provider organization that is governed by a skills-based community Board of Directors. The Board will be advised by both a Patient & Family Advisory Council and a Healthcare Professional Advisory Council.
- Will the Mississauga Integrated Care Centre have its own website?
Yes, the Mississauga Integrated Care Centre will have its own website. It will be launched before its opening.
- Where is the Mississauga Integrated Care Centre located?
The South West Mississauga site will be located at 2695 North Sheridan Way in Mississauga. The East Mississauga site location has not yet been identified.
- When will construction begin?
The design plans have been completed for the South West Mississauga site and an open tender process for construction has been completed. Construction will begin in late fall 2018.
- Is there parking at the Mississauga Integrated Care Centre?
Yes, there is free parking at the South West Mississauga site. Parking information for the East Mississauga site will be shared once the location has been determined.
- Will the Mississauga Integrated Care Centre be accessible by public transportation?
Public transportation for the South West Mississauga site is limited to specific times during the day. Over the coming months, the Mississauga Integrated Care Centre will be working to improve public transportation options for patients and staff.
- What are the Mississauga Integrated Care Centre’s hours of operation?
The hours of operation will be determined in the coming months as part of the operational planning process. It is anticipated that programs and services will be provided weekdays, evenings and limited hours on weekends.
- What services will be available at the Mississauga Integrated Care Centre?
Clinical programming will be determined by the population health needs of the community. Resource allocation within the sites will be driven by the principle of health equity. A range of services including one-on-one inter-professional healthcare provider care, disease specific group sessions, team-based care for complex patients, patient education, specialist drop-in clinics, and virtual care, among others, will be available at the Mississauga Integrated Care Centre.
- I am a family physician in South West Mississauga or East Mississauga. How can I participate in the MICC?
The majority of physicians participating in the Mississauga Integrated Care Centre will be affiliated community physicians. These are family physicians who are currently in the South West Mississauga sub-region who do not physically work at the MICC but are considered to be a part of the interdisciplinary team and their patients can access the spectrum of services offered at the Mississauga Integrated Care Centre. They will engage in shared care models with the Mississauga Integrated Care Centre’s team either physically or virtually and remain as the most responsible physician throughout the patient’s interaction with the organization. Additionally, at the South West Mississauga site, a small number of physicians will have their medical practice onsite and will access the Mississauga Integrated Care Centre services in the same way as affiliated community physicians.
- I’d like to work at the Mississauga Integrated Care Centre. When will hiring begin?
Recruitment for the Mississauga Integrated Care Centre is expected to begin in early 2019. More information on the recruitment process will be shared at a later date.
- How has the community been engaged in designing the Mississauga Integrated Care Centre?
The design, governance and oversight of the Mississauga Integrated Care Centre includes a strong patient and provider voice. Working Groups, with representation from providers, patients and partners, were established in areas of space and interior design, digital health, and clinical programming. Additionally, patient and provider workshops, physician focus groups, patient surveys and other community engagements have been completed. Engagement activities will continue up until the sites are operational.
Mississauga Integrated Care Centre's Growing Team
Executive Director: Aasif Khakoo
Project Manager – Andrew Bilton, Mississauga Halton LHIN
LHIN support – Carie Gall, Director, Clinical Engagement, Clinical Integration and Relationship Management, Mississauga Halton LHIN
LHIN Executive Sponsor – Dr. Mira Backo-Shannon, Vice President, Clinical, Mississauga Halton LHIN
Clinical Director: Recruitment in progress