Providing Expert Advice to the Mississauga Halton LHIN
The Mississauga Halton LHIN is responsible for many different aspects of health care. In order to assist the organization in the decision making required to maintain the region’s health care priorities, the Mississauga Halton LHIN relies on the knowledge, advice and work of Physician Leads. Each Physician Lead is responsible for a particular specialty health care to support both the Mississauga Halton LHIN and the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care (MOHLTC) in their work. All Physician Leads report directly to the Mississauga Halton LHIN CEO.
EMERGENCY DEPARTMENT (ED) PHYSICIAN LEAD
Dr. Eric Letovsky
Dr. Eric Letovsky is the Chief of the Department of Emergency Medicine at Credit Valley Hospital. He is a graduate of Yale and McGill Universities and is certified in Emergency Medicine by the College of Family Physicians of Canada as well as the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada.
Dr. Letovsky is also the Director of the Division of Emergency Medicine in the Department of Family and Community Medicine at the University of Toronto, where he is a Full Professor in the Faculty of Medicine. Dr. Letovsky meets monthly with Mississauga Halton LHIN hospital colleagues, at the Mississauga Halton LHIN office in Oakville, to collaborate and discuss how to improve performance in our emergency departments.
Role of the ED Physician Lead
- Member of LHIN ED Physician Lead Panel in monthly meetings to review P4R strategy and results, make recommendations/feedback on policy/implementation and report on local issues related to Mississauga Halton LHIN
- Oversee physician staffing: helping to ensure that Mississauga Halton LHIN EDs are fully staffed with help of HealthForceOntario
- Physician Liaison: networking with Mississauga Halton LHIN ED chiefs and physicians to produce ED wait time and quality improvements
- Monitoring of P4R wait times, data collection, accountability agreements through bimonthly ED site visits
CLINICAL QUALITY LEAD
Dr. Amir Ginzburg
Dr. Ginzburg is a specialist in internal medicine and Trillium Health Partners’ Chief of Quality and Medical Director of Medical Administration. He has led improvement efforts in critical incident management, interprofessional communication and avoidable hospitalization. He has applied his skills in quality improvement to cross-sectoral initiatives in the East Mississauga Health Link and by deploying clinical order sets into long-term care facilities in the Mississauga Halton LHIN region.
For the last three years, Dr. Ginzburg has served as the Medical Lead for Health System Funding Reform at the Mississauga Halton LHIN, with a particular interest in the governance and regional implementation of quality-based procedures. Dr. Ginzburg is a well-respected educator in the quality improvement and patient safety field. He is faculty at the Canadian Patient Safety Institute and at the Centre for Quality Improvement and Patient Safety, a Master Facilitator for the Patient Safety Education Program Canada, and an Assistant Professor at the University of Toronto’s Institute of Health Policy, Management and Evaluation. In 2013, the Canadian Patient Safety Institute honoured Dr. Ginzburg by including him in a select group of key influencers of patient safety in Canada.
Dr. Ginzburg will chair the Mississauga Halton LHIN Regional Quality Table.
Role of the Clinical Quality Lead
- Chairs the Mississauga Halton LHIN Regional Quality Table
- With the Regional Quality Table develops and implements an integrated Mississauga Halton LHIN quality plan
- Engages providers in a culture of quality care
- Facilitates regional knowledge transfer and evidence-based quality practice
- Advises and assists in interpreting Mississauga Halton LHIN quality issues and informs recommendations
- Contributes as a member of the LHIN team to provide strategic input and leadership on quality
- Contributes to HQO’s Provincial Quality Improvement and Implementation Committee
CRITICAL CARE PHYSICIAN LEAD
Dr. Janos Pataki
Dr. Janos Pataki is a Critical Care Physician at Credit Valley Hospital. He graduated from the University of Toronto and has been trained in Internal Medicine and Critical Care. Dr. Pataki started at Credit Valley Hospital (CVH) in 2000 and is currently the Medical Director of the Critical Care Unit at CVH and Staff Intensivist. He is also a lecturer at the University of Toronto.
Role of the Critical Care Physician Lead
- Implement the province’s plan to improve timely access to critical care services in the Mississauga Halton LHIN
- Work collaboratively with the Critical Care providers across the Mississauga Halton LHIN, and the Mississauga Halton LHIN CEO, to develop plans on the best use of critical care resources across the region
- Work collaboratively with the other 13 Critical Care Leads across the province
- Bring Mississauga Halton LHIN critical issues to the Critical Care Secretariat which provides strategic direction to the province’s growing critical care system
Sub-Region Clinical Leads
The province is undergoing significant health system transformation under the Patients First Act, including the investment in a robust primary care system.
To develop the most effective model of primary care, the Mississauga Halton LHIN has hired seven sub-region clinical leads to work closely with LHIN medical leadership, home and community care and system partners, forming a strong leadership team within primary care. Together, they will work towards a more integrated network of care and drive local quality initiatives at the sub-region level.
Bringing physician leaders to local and regional planning tables will help to achieve our overarching goal of providing the highest standard of patient care.
Each of Mississauga Halton LHIN’s seven sub-regions are represented by a clinical lead as listed in the chart below.
Sub-Region Clinical Lead
|| Assigned Sub-Region
| Dr. Victoria Chen
| East Mississauga
| Dr. Kiran Cherla
| Halton Hills
| Dr. Nathan Wong
| Dr. James Pencharz
| North West Mississauga
| Dr. Corinne Breen
| Dr. Laura Fisch
| South Etobicoke
| Dr. Sundeep Banwatt
| South West Mississauga